Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week Eleven – SEC Getting All the Attention Once Again

Three games have ranked teams playing one another this week and two are in the SEC (of course).  Man, college football would be boring without the SEC, wouldn’t it?  That being said, the recent events with Cam Newton make me think back to how the SWC disappeared because of scandals and cheating at several schools.  Seems the SEC is trying to head that direction.  On to the games…

SEC Games – 6-2 straight up last week; 62-13 for the season

#19 Mississippi State @ #12 Alabama – For the first time in the regular season since 2007, Alabama is playing a game knowing they are completely out of the national title game picture.  How will they react?  The more I see this good team struggle with the bulls eye on its back every week this year, the more I believe repeating as national champs is nearly impossible.  The Bulldogs haven’t played in two weeks and are emotional due to the death of one of its players.  I am still a hater when it comes to the Bulldogs though.  I know they have proven me wrong a couple of times this year, but I just don’t see the talent there to beat the Tide.  Bama 23-14

#23 South Carolina @ #22 Florida – This one is for the SEC Eastern division with the winner earning the right to get thumped by an SEC West team in the SEC Championship Game.  You know the story…Spurrier returning to his alma mater to throw his visor around on Florida Field (maybe for the last time).  As promising as South Carolina’s season once seemed, they have looked like the same old team that falters at the end of each year last week as the Razorbacks thumped them in their own house.  If South Carolina loses this, they end up 4-4 in conference (again) and either 7-5 or 8-4 on the season (again).  But Spurrier could forever be loved by the Gamecock faithful if he could lead them to their first (and probably only) SEC title game.  I’m not ready to completely write the Gamecocks off in this game, and I am not sold that Florida has figured it out on offense.  I’ll take the Gators though because of some boneheaded Garcia plays.  Gators 19-17

Georgia @ #2 Auburn – See “If I were a bettin man…” below.

In other SEC games, I like Tennessee over Ole Miss, Kentucky over Vanderbilt, Arkansas over UTEP, and LSU over ULM.

Notable Games Around the Nation – 3-0 straight up last week; 18-6 for the season

Terrible games this week nationally.  Only one top 25 matchup outside of the SEC – Kansas State @ Missouri.  Give me the home team Tigers in that one.  No other games worth mentioning.

If I were a bettin’ man... – 1-2 against the spread last week; 9-11 for the season

Georgia (+8) @ #2 Auburn My friend David Coleman talked me in to this one.  So if it loses, blame him.  If it wins, I’ll take the credit.  I seriously do like it though.  We all know what Auburn has been through this week.  Georgia is only fighting for a bowl game now, and everyone has forgotten about them since the Florida loss.  This game reminds me a lot of the 2006 game when Auburn was #5 in the nation, and Georgia was very average and breaking in a new QB you may have heard of – Matthew Stafford.  Four turnovers and an uninspired effort by Auburn doomed the Tigers as they were upset in a big way 37-15 at home.  Four years later, Auburn is #2 in the nation and at home against an average Georgia team that has shown it can be good at times with a first-year QB.  The pressure on Auburn is building by the day even before the Cam Newton news.  I have to think they struggle here.  I like Auburn to win but only by a field goal.

And They Muffed It...by Joseph Michael -

Coming soon…

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment