Friday, December 31, 2010

“We Bowlin Baby” – Week 3 (January 1 Bowl Games)

Okay so I decided I will do only January 1 bowl games in this entry.  I will get the rest up on Sunday-ish.

Bowl Season Record Through the Sun Bowl: 11-9 Straight Up ; 10-9-1 Against the Spread.

Saturday, the 1st

TicketCity Bowl: Northwestern vs. Texas Tech (-9.5) – This game is on ESPNU, and I bet about five people watch it.  Anyway, this seems like a big line for the Big 12 when its teams have looked really bad in bowls so far, but Northwestern has not been the same since their QB Dan Persa went down.  Without Persa, Northwestern is a bad team and probably not bowl eligible.  Give me the Red Raiders 28-14.

Outback Bowl: Florida vs. Penn State (+7) – As if the Gators weren’t struggling enough, Urban has left his team high and dry (again).  Penn State always lulls its SEC opponents to sleep in bowl games and usually comes out with a win.  I find it hard to see the Gators playing inspired football here.  Penn State 17-13.

Capital One Bowl: Alabama vs. Michigan State (+10) – Another game where I don’t see Bama being that excited to be playing in this bowl when they started the season off as #1 in the country.  Michigan State will be excited about the opportunity and playing inspired football after they were shunned from a BCS bowl game.  But Bama is just too talented for the outright win by Spartie.  Bama 23-17.

Gator Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Michigan (+4.5) – Things are getting desperate for Rich Rod at Michigan.  He played this Josh Groban hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJxrX42WcjQ) at the end of the year Michigan football banquet and shed a few tears talking about how tough it has been on him as coach at Michigan.  Don’t laugh, it’s not funny…actually, it is hilarious!  You know I have not been big on Mississippi State all year, and they have proven me wrong some.  But think about this, Michigan does not face spread offenses in the Big Ten, but they practice against one all the time when they face their offense in practice.  I think that is a big edge they have here being familiar with the Bulldogs offense.  I like the Wolverines in an upset here 38-31.

Rose Bowl: Wisconsin (+3) vs. TCU – This is the first time I have looked forward to a Rose Bowl in a really long time.  I may not take a nap during this one.  I am shocked Wisconsin is an underdog here.  They have been playing as well as any team in the nation and always have a chip on their shoulder, which will match the chip TCU has on theirs.  Give me Wisconsin in this one in a helluva Rose Bowl 28-24.

Fiesta Bowl: Connecticut (+17) vs. OklahomaThe Big 12 has looked really bad in bowls this year, and everyone expects OU to blow out UConn.  We have seen this story before (see OU vs. Boise and West Virginia).  UConn is the type of team that is fundamentally sound, play really hard, and piss off their opponent.  I don’t see anyway the Sooners cover this spread, but they win in a close one.  Sooners 27-20.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment